Monday, August 21, 2006

Move default location of "special" FOLDER in XP

Fiuh...

As you know, the most effective medicine for the sickness that is suffered by Windows XP is "REINSTALL".
Several times, my sys-admin in my place suggests to reinstall my windows when I face un-solvable problem.
Mmmm somehow this approach is right.. and most of the time is effective to cure the sickness.

But before we do reinstall, the first rule is BACK-UP your data first.....
Mmmmmm but how about if XP crashes before we have a chance to back the data...???
There is a nice TIPS:
"Separate your data from the program by placing in the other partition, instead of C:\"

But I'm lazy because each time I download I need to change the directory first and save it there.
Then, my approach is:
It'd be nice if My Documents folder is placed in D:\, instead of C:\Documents and Settings\%username%....
and due to my habbit placing the recent download in Desktop (C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Desktop), I want those folders are moved to other partion.

After googling: huplaaaa
We can modify the registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

and all my wishes come true.
I can change default location of My Documents, My Pictures, Desktop ... mmmmm

so if I need to REINSTALL XP then I just do it... and surely my date will be safe in the other partition.
--
Ask google before asking dumb question ;-)

No comments: